Adult Football‎ > ‎

2006 Leinster Club Intermediate Football Champions

Confey join Leinster elite!

2006 Leinster G.A.A. Club Intermediate Football Championship Final 

Confey 3-07 v 1-08 Tubber 

Displaying Confey Senior Football - 2006 Leinster GAA Club Intermadiate Football Champions_picmonkeyed.jpg

By Paul O'Meara - Leinster Leader

Marvellous day for Club as goals see off Tubber  

KILDARE'S march through the provincial club competitions continued last weekend.

Confey confirmed their status as one of Kildare's fastest emerging clubs when they followed up a first Kildare SHC final appearance - not to mention their IFC title win - with the provincial football title at the expense of a Ciaran McManus-inspired Tubber at Sean Creighton Park.

The ground, which was only opened a decade ago when Ciaran McGeeney lined out with an Armagh side against Kildare, was witnessing history.

Confey led from start to finish in conditions that were less than ideal. Players had to cope with a stiff breeze and a sticky playing surface and while there were frequent errors the standard of football was, in the circumstances, good.

Confey had the ball in the net as early as the 6th minute when Eoin Fitzpatrick scored after being found by Frankie Barry and they led by 1-2 when corner forward Martin Heavin opened Tubber's account.

Darragh Nolan scored twice in the early stages for Confey and a powerful effort by Barry - Confey's best forward - gave them a 1-3 to 0-1 lead.

Ciaran McManus did a lot of damage around the midfield area for Confey and he was at the heart of much of what they did. He did however, miss a couple of wind assisted frees before he scored from play in the 28th minute.

Confey spend much of the second quarter defending but thanks to solid work they managed to concede little enough on the scoreboard. Eoin Fitzpatrick had a good goal chance but he slipped as he shot and a weak effort was cleared leaving Confey with a 1-3 to 0-4 interval lead.

Confey found the wind as hard to play with in the second half as Tubber did earlier.

Ciaran Ganley saw a long shot go wide and Frankie Barry was also marginally off target. Hughie Lynch was also wide before Barry found the range with a fine shot from close to the end line in the 36th to reply to an early free by Kevin McGuinness.

Tubber had a goal opportunity early in the second half but Eddie Kavanagh was tracked all the way by Paddy Nolan after getting possession and instead Barry's right foot gave Confey a 1-5 to 0-5 advantage in the 39th. Barry was set up by Eoin Fitzpatrick for a goal a shortly afterwards, which resulted from Ciaran McManus being dispossessed at the other end of the field. Another Tubber attack was broken up to create a chance for Joey Keogh, which he pointed in the 46th.

Now seven points ahead Confey were not about to be beaten.

Still Tubber rallied and a fine long range low shot from McManus finished in the net.

A fine save by Keith Sullivan was to prevent a second McManus goal shortly afterwards but Heavin edged them ever closer with a point in the 49th.

The Offaly side cut the deficit to two points when Brian Kelly saw his shot curl over the bar.

But that was as good as it got for the visitors.

Darragh Nolan scored after Hugh Lynch provided the possession.

Conor Hughes proved a lively sub for Confey. He saw a shot go just wide before he finished off a passing move with a first time strike to the net in the 61st.

Just before the end Sullivan made another fine save from Tubber's Michael Brennan but it wouldn't have altered the result.

Confey had many fine performers and the best of them were Frankie Barry, Hugh Lynch, Keith Sullivan, Ciaran Ganley and Darragh Nolan.

Ciaran McManus was ever threatening for Tubber. He was supported by Martin Heavin, Keith Higgins, Kevin McGuinness and Eddie Kavanagh.

Confey: Keith Sullivan; John Quigley, Paddy Nolan, Roger Quinn; Robbie McMahon, Ciaran Ganley, Frank Ryder; Hugh Lynch, Colm Quinn; Colm Coyle, Joey Keogh (0-1), Ciaran Divilly; Darragh Nolan (0-3), Frankie Barry (1-3), Eoin Fitzpatrick (1-0).

Subs: Mark Lundy for Coyle 46th, Brian Corscadden for Fitzpatrick 54th, Conor Hughes 1-0 for Divilly 56th, Mark Ferris for Ryder 58th.

Tubber: Alan Kinahan; Brendan Heavin, Brian McManus, John Moran; Lee Dunning, Joe Higgins, Keith Higgins; Ciaran McManus 1-1, David Kavanagh; Michael Brennan, Mick Dolan, Kevin McGuinness 0-2 both frees; Brian Kelly 0-1, Eddie Kavanagh 0-1, Martin Heavin 0-3. Subs Noel Brown for Kavanagh half time and Johnny Rooney for Dolan 48th.

Referee: Sean Carroll.

SelectionFile type iconFile nameDescriptionSizeRevisionTimeUser